Malindi Tour Full Day Adventurefrom
Discover gold at the seaside town of Malindi in this day long Malindi Tour – its beaches glisten with an effervescent sparkle and its history is a golden past of discovery, adventure, and mysterious abandoned cities. The renowned explorer, Vasco de Gama left his mark here in 1498 on his search for a route to India. In Malindi, you can explore the town’s colorful winding streets and nearby, find ancient mosques, tombs, and a deserted king’s palace.
Few monuments in Africa are more iconic or historic than the towering Vasco de Gama Pillar. Coming into town, you’ll find this impressive white cross overlooking the bay – a reminder of the explorer’s journey through Malindi, on his search for a route to India.
Also, in this Malindi Adventure Full Day Tour, discover the charming Portuguese chapel built by de Gama. Known as St. Francis Xavier Chapel, it looks out on the seafront as it has for over 500 years. The thick white walls of the chapel were built from coral and are still standing strong.
There’s more magic to be seen just a short 20 km (12.4 mi) drive from town at the glistening sands of Cheshale Golden Beach. The “gold” here comes from the large number of pyrite nuggets mixed with the sand, giving visitors the feeling of walking on a golden path. This unusually long beach also features dramatic sand dunes.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeExcursions, History, Short Breaks
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Medium Group
This Malindi Adventure Full Day Tour exposes the melting pot of local cultures with a rich and fascinating history. Wander through the alleys of the atmospheric old town, dine on terrific Italian food beside the Indian Ocean or take a plunge into the crystal-clear waters of the national park, and you’ll discover for yourself that Malindi is quite the charmer.
The winding streets to the centuries-old houses, you will see the story of Malindi unfold before your eyes. Malindi town and its environs have many excursions and activities to keep even the most active entertained.
- Snorkeling in the Marine Park – take a glass bottom boat out to the coral gardens and swim with an amazing array of reef fish, turtles, octopus, star fish, etc.
- Malindi Museum – open daily, this interesting excursion covers Malindi’s history from Vasco da Gamma’s Visit to the slave trade and a 400 million year old living fossil, the Coelacanth caught off Malindi.
- Bird Watching in the Arabuko Sokoke Forest and Mida Creek – take a drive down to Watamu and visit the largest natural coastal forest left in East Africa; the Sokoke Forest or Mida Creek to experience some of the best bird watching in Kenya.
- Gedi Ruins and Kipepeo Butterfly Project – while in Watamu visit the ancient ruins of Gedi, an ancient 13th century fortress used to house slaves before they were shipped on to Zanzibar.
- At Kipepeo you can see thousands of different butterflies whose pupa is sold overseas by the local community. Guides are available at the visitors centre.
- BioKen Snake Park – in Watamu. Set up by James Ashe a giant in the snake world. The farm is a major world leader in the production of anti-venom to reduce snake bite deaths in the local community and for export.
- All round Private transportation
- Malindi museum entrance fee
- Vasco Dagamas pillar entrance fee
- Portuguees chapel entrance fee
- Malindi falconry entrance fee
- Bottled water will be provided during the tour
- Soda/Pop A bottle of soda will be provided during lunch
- Lunch – La-carte menu will be provided at the cheshale beach restaurant
- Beach drive on the golden beach
- Park fee
- Extra Beach Activities
- All items of personal nature e.g. drinks, tips, laundry, etc